Posted on: 4 November 2014
Did you know that an intruder can purchase a key on the internet to gain access to your home? If you are like most homeowners, you'll find this to be surprising and scary information. The process is called lock bumping and it leaves no evidence of a forced entry. How can you protect your home from lock bumping? Read on to find out.
How Lock Bumping Works
The intruder uses a bump key they ordered online. They are easy to find online and anyone can order one. It simply goes into the keyhole and then the user bumps the key with a sturdy object. The lock pins move inside the lock and very briefly allows the key to be a perfect match for the lock. The intruder then uses slight force to turn the key and the door is unlocked just as if you had used your own key.
The unfortunate truth is that unlocking your door only requires these simple steps and anyone can learn the process with the help of the internet and some practice. These bump keys are designed to be used on pin and tumbler locks and older cylinder locks are especially vulnerable.
How You Can Protect Your Home from Lock Bumping
- A locksmith can add extra pins to your locks that will make it harder, but not impossible, for the locks to be bumped.
- You can purchase and install bump resistant locks and deadbolts.
- You could also decide to replace all of your keyed locks with keyless options so they are not vulnerable to any type of lock and key tampering.
- In addition to changing your locks, you should also have motion detecting lights installed. If this is not an option, at least make sure that you have working lights around your doors. Lights deter intruders because they are usually afraid to be seen.
- Security systems are one of the best things that you can have installed in your home. If the intruder is able to enter your home, they will be scared away by the alarm and the police will automatically be alerted.
You now understand more about how lock bumping works and how to protect your home from it. Keep in mind that several methods of protection are better than just one. So have that security system installed and make sure the outside of your home is well lit. These small additions could make all the difference in making sure your home is secure and your family stays safe and sound inside. Check out ADT reviews to find out what kind of security system would be best for your home.Share